"Iran: Recently the United States took Iran to task for its “harsh and oppressive treatment” of religious minorities, including Christians. In its annual “Report on International Religious Freedom” around the world, the State Department said it found a further deterioration in what it called “the extremely poor status of respect for religious freedom” in Iran. Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is on a three-day visit to New York City and is scheduled to address the United Nations General Assembly. The following is an update on the status of persecuted Christians in Iran.
The situation in Iran is very similar to that of the first century church: mass conversions, persecution, signs and wonders, visions and dreams and even multiple wives. Only God knows how many thousands of Iranian Muslims have come to Christ through Christian satellite TV broadcasts. Most of the new believers are young and very passionate about their faith in Christ, although, out of fear, most remain “secret believers” not connected to any church or house church. Christians report that persecution has increased markedly and that believers are experiencing much greater hardship since the election of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, in August 2005, who has pledged to restore an Islamic government in Iran. Read More
- For the present government and leadership in Iran, that God will soften their hearts to be open to His love.
- That the leaders at the UN General Assembly meetings who hear President Ahmadinejad speak will not be swayed by his false talk.
- That the Lord will raise up prayer from every corner of the world for the country of Iran.
- That God will protect and comfort His people in Iran and that the Holy Spirit will give them power to witness in every situation.
- That the presence of Jesus will be evident among them as never before.